www.flickr.com

January 31, 2007

help wanted

Recently Chris and I have become upset and unhappy with our daycare for the girls. After much thought we have decided to put an ad in the paper for a nanny/babysitter. The ad started today and will run for 2 weeks. In one hour I got 5 responses. That is way beyond what I thought. I hadn't even put any questions together or nothing. I was thrown at the various ages the women were that were calling. I got from 18-51. I don;t know what I was expecting, but I was a little shocked. A few people I didn't really like but scheduled an interview anyways, and a few others I cannot wait to meet. I am really nervous though because I have not had to interview a nanny/babysitter/daycare for almost 7 years and back then I had my moms help because I was a first time mom at the age of 18 and had no idea of the type of questions I should ask. I have put together a few questions but wanted to know from you all, what questions you feel are the most important to be asked. So please leave a comment and help me put together an interview....please.

6 comments:

  1. what is your experience and ages!! that is a BIG deal! I was a nanny and had a ton of things I did... of course it all revolved around the kids like cleaning after then, their meals ect...
    I would have a phone interview and a personal interview to see if they are compatible with your girls. Also there are some companies that will run background checks for free.. I would look into that for sure!
    PLEASE email me if you want to know anything, I was a nanny for 5 years
    LOVE YA'LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say that Lindsay would TOTALLY know what you should ask since she nannied for so long. I really don't have anything besides what L said. Good luck and keep up posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me think..first, don't be stress it won't help at all!
    And if you want to see the funny part of it try to ask your candidates to sing a children song!Or to show you what they can do if your girls are annouyed and don't want to play with toys...they should invent a game, smth to distract them...it would be interesting to see your candidates' creativity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a nanny for a long time too, and I think the biggest thing is actually watching your girls' reaction to person. See if they take to her right away. And also, will she clean up? What other duties surrounding the girls do you want her doing? Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about the interviews! And I will vote for you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most importnat thing about interviewing someone to take care of your kids it's the REFERENCES. I had tons of interviews and I've been a nanny for 7+ years. My references got me the jobs I had, and I got the job I have right now because of the talk my current family had with my old family.
    It's important you know how the person will treat your kids (by her) but it's more important to know how she WAS with other kids. Not from her ... but from the other parents.
    My current family also talked to the kids I used to babysit 6 years ago and they asked them how i treated them and if they had fun with me.
    I also agree with the other comments that say you should see how your kids react with the candidates.
    Don't just rely on what your heart 'tells' you. Hope you find the person you need for your girls!!
    Best of luck!
    Noelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can ask her questions like "How do you handle discipline and tantrums? Definately check out their references- don't just look at the list, actually call them. If you have a gut feeling about someone, listen to it.

    ReplyDelete