www.flickr.com

September 8, 2006

Is she innocent until proven guilty?

You would think she is in this picture!

The way our school system works is that we have 4 elementary schools K-5, one middle school 6-8 and a high school 9-12. Hannah goes to another elementary school in our district, its just closer to daycare than our home. I drive her to daycare and she walks to the bus stop with the 2 daughters of the daycare owner (its a home daycare). I then drop Alanna off in the house and I am off to work.
Yesterday was the 1st day of school. I drove her to the bus stop near daycare and waited with her. She was so excited to go. I actually had to leave though because the bus was late and I had to get to work. I was sad, but Hannah said she was happy for no more pictures.
As soon as I picked Hannah up from daycare she told me all about school. She had a good day. A few of her friends are in her class with her. This year is the 1st year Hannah gets to eat lunch at school, she said her lunch was delicious. (I have to pretend I am all domestic now, and pack a lunch). She showed me the pictures she colored and ALL the paperwork that gets to be filled out on the 1st day of school. So that pretty much sums up the 1st day of school with Hannah. Level: good

Lets on move on the the 2nd day. The morning goes smoothly. We wake up, get breakfast, get dressed, and leave for daycare. All is well. Then this morning at 11:00 am, I get a phone call at work. From who? Hannahs teacher. No she did not call to praise me on a job well done for raising the most brilliant 6 year old ever, no, she called to tell me that Hannah and her sassiness are out of hand this morning and when she talked to the kindergarten teacher about Hannah she did not have this problem last year. She asked if maybe we could nip this thing in the bud, so it will not be a problem later. Nip it in the bud? Sure I said, while the blood starts to bubble over with madness for my daughter.... you have no idea how I will nip this in the bud. I already talked to daycare and Hannah has to sit on the couch and wait for me to pick her up. Sitting on the couch while ALL the other kids play outside is torcher. I can't wait. I have no idea how to handle this situation. Do I spank? because yes I do spank Hannah when its needed, but never while I'm angry, Alanna will get spanked too when she is older. Should I yell and scream? should I ground her? when grounding happens, its like I am grounded too and then its punishment for me and I did nothing wrong. Should I try to talk about it with her and hope that nips it in the bud? Friends I am turning to you, yes you to help me through this. I may have 2 kids and seem like a pro, but when it comes to Hannah, she is the oldest and I am still learning with every stage we go through.

I'll be back and let you know how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/11/2006

    I wish there was something I could say, but I don't have a child that old yet, and what may work for my kid may not work for yours. This is kind of a touchy subject I think for some people. I hope you find the strength and encouragement that you need to handle this.

    ReplyDelete