www.flickr.com

September 11, 2006

Where were you....

I was on my way to the Family Independent Agency with Hannah. I was 20 yrs old and she was 15 months. I was in the car and heard the radio station interrupt a song that was playing. I didn't think much to it, I had just turned to the station and thought they were doing a prank, a phone scam or something. For some reason it did not hit me until I reached the buildings doors. I walked in and they had the TV on in the corner. Everyone was surrounding it. People were crying and all was quiet. I thought to myself. I am in a government office, get the hell out of here. My meeting was cancelled for the day and I left for home. When I got home I turned on the TV and sat there holding Hannah so tightly, so no harm would come to her. I cried. I cried for the families of the people in involved, I cried for the people themselves, I cried for everyone in the world. Mainly I cried because I had always told myself I did not want children because the world was such a horrible and bad place, I did not want anyone to have to go through the hardships of growing up in poverty or in a crime area. I cried because from that day on, Hannah's life would be effected and some how revolve around September 11, 2001 for the rest of her life. It took some time to understand myself exactly why someone would do such a terrible thing. Even though I was 20 yrs old, I had trouble coping. Still to this day, any thought of the tragedy brings tears to my eyes. How could someone hate us so bad to do such a terrible thing. My heart goes out to all that remember that day and especially the families who lost people they loved. I remember going to work that night, because I was a waitress. We sat in front of the TV and people would share their stories. I was not directly affected, and did not know anyone living near any of the places at the time. However I will carry them in my heart. One day in history will change your life forever......

Where were you?

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone was effected in some way - the thing is - do we choose to make us better people.

    I found you from the blogging chicks list.

    I have a tribute to one of the victims if you are interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/11/2006

    Funny my sister just asked this question yesterday and we went around the room as to where everyone was. I was at work outside smoking a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete