July 29, 2008

A baby story

Sorry about the last post..Check out flickr.

Wow what a whirlwind I have been on.
It all started early Friday morning about 6AM. We were at the hospital getting ready for the labor and we were all fun and giggles. Labor officially started around 9:30 with the breaking of my water and. Things were coming along fine..well really when I was checked into the hospital I was 1-2 cm dilated, 50-60% soft and he wasn't done as far as the dr had originally thought. By lunchtime I was maybe 3cm dilated and nothing else changed. By 4pm I was only 4 cm dilated with still no changes on anything else but in tears from pain.
I was allowed the epidural and thats when things went down from there. As soon as I got the epidural my blood pressure went from normal to low, extremely low. The epidural dr never got a chance to leave she was there injecting new medicine to get my blood pressure back up. With all my stress Bens heartbeat went from normal 142 to 197 beats. He wasn't recovering from my low blood pressure. The nurses kept running in and out of my room and would not let Chris in or tell him what was going on. He was outside my room for about an hour before I was stable enough for him to come back in. Around 6:30 Bens heartbeat was still not right and my pulse rate was in the 120s.
The dr came in at 7:00 and I was not dilated past 5 and no change in the other areas. She said she was not confident I could deliver this baby in 2 hours and opted for a c section. I started to cry. I felt like a failure and that I was letting everyone down. I called my mom and she calmed me down and I felt better. The drs came in and started prepping me for the c section. I had another reaction to the medication and could not stop getting sick and was extremely dizzy the whole operation. I was cold and shivering like crazy. The tugs and pulling that was going on and I couldn't fell anything.
At 8:09 pm my beautiful baby boy Ben was pulled into the world and mommy and daddy could not have been happier to know he was okay. In recovery I got to nurse but was soon stricken with dizzy spells again and started getting sick again. This happened every time I sat up until 4 in the morning when finally all that crazy medicine was out of my system.
The next 3 days in the hospital were spent getting to know my new son and recovery from some major pain issues. We were released on Monday and could not have been happier to come home. I was greeted by Hannah and Alanna and they were so excited to have mommy, daddy and baby brother Ben home for good. We have spent the last 2 days trying to establish a routine, which isn't going so well right now, but in time I'm sure it will. I am slowly feeling a tad bit better everyday but still really sore at times. Nursing is going okay, Ben is a champ at latching but holy suckage and it hurts, LOl.

My posting will probably be a few times a week for a little while until everything calms down around here, but I can't wait to share all the fun times with our newest family member.


  1. So cool he's finally here!!!
    I'm so happy for you guys!
    Hope you have a great day! :)

  2. Glad thing worked out ok. That is one scary delivery story or at least it is to someone who hasn't been through it!!

    Hope you are back to 100% soon!!

    Oh, and 'holy suckage' - good one! ha!

  3. I am so glad that he is here. Congrats!