www.flickr.com

May 14, 2008

Month 7

Okay here we go. I am 28 weeks, that's the beginning of my 7 month and also the 3rd trimester. Can you believe it? Chris and I found out we were prego at 4 weeks, and now 24 weeks later it seems like a lifetime ago.
Baby boy is about 15-16 inches long from head to toe. Its amazing because both girls were only 18 and 18 1/2 inches long. Baby weighs about 2.4 pounds at this point. Which again is very amusing since Hannah was only 5 pounds 16.9 oz when she was born. Alanna was 6 lbs. 13oz. My uterus is a little more than 3 inches above your bellybutton. I say this because damn its hard as a rock right there. The average weight gain at this time should be between 17 and 24 pounds, however I must admit I am very happy to announce I have only gained 5 pounds. But don't worry, my doctor is also happy with this, because I have the weight to spare, she always says ever so politely :)

This month they (the professionals) say that I will probably start to visit my doctor every 2 weeks, I don't remember starting this early for the 2 week appointments, but my next visit is this Saturday, so I guess I will find out then. Week 28 is an important week for testing. I went last weekend for the glucose tolerance test. That's the worst one of them all I think. I have to drink this stale, flat orange drink, wait around the hospital for an hour and then get some blood drawn. Not fun. At least I had Hannah with me for entertainment. I taught her the hand slap game, and now she is addicted. There may also be an iron level test and if you are Rh negative, you should have an antibody test. I'm not sure about either of these 2 tests, but it has been over 2 years since I was pregnant last. I'm sure my Dr will bring it up on Saturday if she is concerned. I will not bring it up, because if I can avoid losing more blood and getting poked by more needles, I will.

Baby boy's brain continues to develop and is now forming the folds and grooves of a fully developed brain. The amount of tissues within the brain also continues to increase in large amounts. The hair that covers your baby's scalp is also getting longer.

Baby Boy has opened his eyes by now and the eyebrows and eyelids are well formed. He also has developed taste buds and sucks his thumb. And we do have proof of this in every ultrasound picture. The organs and systems are well developed by now and if born prematurely at this stage baby can survive if provided intensive, specialized care. The lungs approach maturity and the respiratory movements are now coordinated and regular.

I also have to mention that the girls are getting very excited. Hannah will kiss her brother every night before bed, and Alanna will lay on my belly and talk to him. She also thinks she has a baby in her belly, so she will lift her shirt and lay her belly on mine and the babies will "talk". Its so sweet to be able to include both of them..I also am very excited for baby boy to show up. Chris and I will be buying his bedding this week. The room needs some painting and organization, of course pictures will follow once we start doing all of that. Only 12 weeks left to go...

4 comments:

  1. How exciting for you guys!! Makes me want to be pregnant all over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, let the decorating begin!! Fun! Any idea on a theme or colors yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 12 weeks. Yoiks! Yay for nesting;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YAY!!!! 12 weeks!! It's going to go SOOOOO fast!!

    ReplyDelete