www.flickr.com

January 23, 2009

Table Time

Dinner in our house used to be hectic and blah. The food would come out of a box and it was not healthy for us. Now that I am home, I cook everyday. I am trying new recipes every week and making our meals, healthy and enjoyable. For some.
I like for us to sit at the table with our feet in front of us and our butts in the chair. Alanna on the other hand likes to stand or if she does decides to sit, her feet to the side. We constantly struggle about the way she sits at the table. Once she gives up and is sitting nicely then she starts on the food. "I'm not hungry, I'm to cold" are constant excuses in our house. I have been making her sit at the table with us until we are done, and if she doesn't eat, then well she doesn't eat until breakfast. There are nights where I feel like the wicked witch and other nights while sitting there Alanna will decide to eat her food and realize she likes it. Am I being to harsh? Should I let her eat something before bed? When I was growing up we ate or didn't and then maybe we could have a snack later...It wasn't to strict. I feel though with Alanna I have to be strict. She has that type of personality that she needs the structure..Where like Hannah she would be okay. Any advice?


Please don't forget the Aqua Juice giveaway. Spread the word.

3 comments:

  1. I say stand your ground (but I am talking as a teaher, not a momma yet). Those were the rules when we were little and we survived! Kids thrive on structure.
    My neighbor actually cooks two separate meals every night b/c her kid refuses to eat what everyone else is eating. She has done this for years b/c she never put her foot down....and the child is ROTTEN!
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little different way at my house. I make one meal for supper. If she doesn't want to eat it, she can leave and go to her room. But if she is hungry later, she has to come back and eat supper before she is allowed to have anything else.

    If she genuinely doesn't like it (I can tell that) then after she is asleep I will throw away what she didn't eat. If I know she is being stubborn and picky and I know she likes the food, I will take her food out of the fridge and give it to her for breakfast.

    After doing that once or twice, I haven't had to do it again. There have been no fights about. When she says, "Mommy, I don't want it." I just reply, "okay, go on to your room then." But later when she is hungry I say, "Well come on down and finish your supper then."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean to add, having rules and sticking to them is important. I don't think you are being too harsh.

    ReplyDelete