www.flickr.com

January 5, 2007

The one where I rant on about family

The wedding count down is in 4 months. Can you believe it? During the holidays I put the wedding off, so I could concentrate of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years. Well now that they are over I am starting to stress a liitle. The wedding shower is in 2 months, my bachlorette party is in 3 months and then the wedding. there is so much that I have to do, but don't know where to start. I still need to pick out flowers, buy shower and wedding invits, find a person to alter mine and Hannah's dress, find a pattern for Alanna's dress, register for the shower, buy shoes for us girls, buy a veil, get Chris is tux, help my maids get their dresses, and complete the guest list. And I know for a fact that I have forgotten some other things.

I'm starting to get really flustered with whats going on. My maid of honor has came up with a great idea for the wedding shower. She is planning a "french bistro" themed brunch. She is going to make all the food and decorate. She is great. A few un-named people in my life have expressed their views on my shower to be a little un nice. The menu for the party will be a french toast bake, an egg and potato bake, muffins, danishes, friut, hashbrowns, cake, eclairs and cookies, punch, coffee and water. I have checked with everyone for allergies, likes and dislikes. With a total of 40 or so people coming it is hard to please everyone. This said person has stated she will not eat any of the food and I should have differnt food and a different time on a different day....oh and lets just change the entire thing while we are at it. The whole point is to try something new and different. A nice brunch for the people that I love to buy me things for my house and marriage....right? (I know I sound spoiled and ungrateful in that line, but that pretty much sums up what a shower is, right?) Everyone tells me to do things the way I want because HELLO I am the one getting married. She had her time 16 years ago. But its hard, and its hard to please everyone and now I know for sure that a few people will be unhappy, and now I'm not so sure what to do. when I told said person about the time and day, she had the nerve to say...you know people may not come because its early. Its at 11:30, if someone cannot drag their lazy ass out of bed to come to the shower one day, then they obviously the whole wedding doesn't mean that much to them, and that is fine they don't need to be there. I wish I could just tell her not to come if she feels that way. She has given me negativity from the beginning. She is the one who said I should be married, she is the one who said I should plan longer, she is the one who said that I should have the wedding closer to her, she is the one who said I need to have different food. Can I catch a break? Can I just have a step mom that is happy for me?

6 comments:

  1. Tasha....

    Whoever is telling you that this is YOUR'S AND CHRIS'S wedding is right, cause it is. I know it's hard to hear all that negativity from family, but try to remember that it's YOUR day, and you're right, you won't please everyone. Rock on with whatever theme you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I wondered by via Blogging Chicks and I just had to post this for you. I went through a similar experience with my wedding. My advice to you is to do it YOUR WAY. I have a couple of regrets about trying to please everyone, and when it comes down to it, you just need to please you and your (soon to be) hubby!

    Good Luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let anyone else rain on your parade.

    Good luck with the planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep my fingers crossed for YOUR plans...do it on your OWN way...let me tell for my future wedding my mother in low told me several months ago: "oh, I am sure you will let me organize everything...I am the best one to do it!"
    so, I do have any idea about your true feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got married 5 years ago and went through something similar as I married an *awesome* man from a totally diiferent country/culture/religion and had to listen to comments from his family about their opinions and thoughts. I ended up getting so pissed, that I just did what I wanted and am so glad I did it that way! It is your day and if people want to be petty about stupid stuff like your food and the time the shower is held, then they can stay home. Hopefully, they'll still send a gift!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I hope this works out for you. Definately do it your own way and try not to worry who gets upset by your decisions, even if she's someone who's meant to be there for you. Like everyone else has said, it is a day meant for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete