www.flickr.com

January 8, 2007

The war at home

I've had a post swirling around in my head for a couple of days now. I've been having trouble organizing thoughts lately. I'm in a rut and feeling blue. I have trouble letting all of my feelings out online. I'm not at the point were I feel totally comfortable letting everyone into my personal life yet. Yes I say a lot, but theres plenty thats not said. I read other blogs and people make their life seem so great. Like nothing goes wrong and things are perfect. It makes my life feel wrong becasue things aren't perfect. I wonder if people hold back like I do. I don't tell you all when Chris and I fight, and yes we do fight. Not all the time but on occasion when we do, its big. We are in one now. We started to come out of it tonight. When Chris and I fight we hold things inside until one of us explodes and then everything comes out at once...we blame each other for things that make us unhappy. Lately Chris has had a bad attitude and today he finally let it out about the things that have been bothering him. Well when he has the bad attitude it makes me upset and then I let it all out about him....whats been making him upset???..me. We need to learn to sit and talk about things instead of blaming each other. We are going to be starting pre marital counseling soon. Its a requirement that our officiant is having us do. Hes actually my dads cousin...Hes a pastor. Chris and I don't attend church therefore we don't have a religion. My dads cousin said he would marry us if we attended one on one sessions with him before the wedding. At first I was avoiding them, but the more I think about it the more I think they may help. Chris and I are young and haven't had the expirence with many relationships and obviously we lack the key to making them work since we both found each other. Thinking back....Chris and I have come through a lot. I am the type of person that wants to argue, talk it out and then make up. Chris likes to say what he has to say and then walk away from the situation. This is very hard for me because I feel sometimes like he doesn't want to talk. But he sees it as calming down and thinking about whats going on. Are these things that normal couples go through? Am I over thinking this because the wedding is 4 months away? Or really does everyone out there have perfect relationships. I didn't think that I would be so vervous about the wedding. I come from a broken home. Both parents have been married 3 times. I want my marriage to work and be the only one. I am scared that sometime down the road Chris and I will not make it and get a divorce. I know I shouldn't think about this before the wedding, but these thoughts have been creeping up in my mind. Please help me...is this normal freak out mode, or is there something else that I need help with.

6 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart, I so wishI was there to give you a hug! Marriage is hard and it is somthing you ahev to work on every second... but it is so worth it! I am from a broken home... but luckily my mom married a wonderful man so I did actualy see what love was suppose to be like. Gavin and I took pre-marriage classes and LOVED THEM! They are so worth the time... Gav and I have bad days and good, as I am sure every relationship does. Do not beliee allthe stuff you read on others blogs, though everyone is different,alot of people candy coat the truth ( I am guilty at times to do this) Donot be so mervous about getting married and the wedding... You will be a wonderful wife to Chris and he doesknow that or he would not have put that gorgeous ring on your finger! PLEASE know taht I am here for you ALWAYS!
    LOVE YOU TASHIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, these comments need spell check!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this rule to myself that I wouldn't talk about my problems with my husband on my blog, because people he knows reads the blog and also he reads it sometimes - but don't think we have a perfect relationship! Far from it, but like Lindsay said, marriage is hard. N and I were married when I was 18 and he was 24 - we had very little experience of serious relationships before each other and had to learn so much about the other person after we were already married. It was very difficult, but stick with it... it is worth it in the end, and I've read what you've written about Chris before, he seems like a good man who's treated you and your daughters well. Just remember how important it is that you guys talk to each other, and of course it's normal to be scared or nervous before your wedding! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls are great...thanks so much for the advice. Hearing about marriage from girls close in my age really helps. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really know you. I was surfing blogs through Lindsey's blog & my heart went out to you when I read this!! I know exactly what you mean about everyone seeming so happy on their blogs! But remember - we ALL have problems - just some people cover 'em up better than others. I try to be positive on my blog but when serious things happen I also put that on there.

    You are just nervous about marriage b/c you are looking at it the RIGHT way - you only want to do it once! don't be so hard on yourself! Go to the classes - it will help to have a 3rd party that sees both sides!

    I guess I just rambled on but I hope I helped some!! Just remember none of us are perfect!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your fears are normal. I wish my pastor would have made my first husband and I go through pre-marital counseling. Maybe then, we would have seen that things wouldn't work before getting into it. I've noted on my blog that I was married to this man for 5 1/2 years without consumating the marriage. I can't help but think if we had been counseled before, maybe he would have talked about what happened in his past or at least told me there was a problem without going into detail. Instead, I spent that time thinking it was my fault.

    In regards to husband/wife arguments, I like to get it out and talk everything over. My husband (current and technically only since the first was never consumated), on the other hand, doesn't want to talk, but will be silent for hours on end - he says he's calming down and thinking things through because he doesn't want to say something he'll regret later, but it irritates the fire out of me. Thankfully, we don't have arguments very often. But..they do happen. It's normal.

    ReplyDelete