www.flickr.com

June 9, 2008

"You look Tired", she says

The strange thing about having pregnancy induced hypertension (high blood pressure) is that you feel normal, you look normal and if you didn't have your doctors constant nagging for you to take it easy, you would probably forget that you have an actual diagnosis. Well in my case, I forgot. An guess what I got for forgetting?
Friday I had my weekly dr visit. It started off normal. I did the weight thing (13lbs. and only 8 weeks to go, YAY me!) and the urine thing (it was normal) and the blood pressure thing (not so normal). I went into my room, got hooked up to the monitor (2 straps around my belly, one for the contractions, and one for the heart beat. Then every time the baby moves you click a button). No contractions (yet), and a good heat beat (thank god), and plenty of movement (yay).
About 20 minutes later my dr comes in and says right off the bat "You look tired". I do not take offense to this, because my dr has been my dr for almost 10 years, she was my mothers dr, several close friends dr, and their mothers dr, she has this sweet quality about her, that even when she states the obvious, shes so nice about it. I respond with a yes, I am tired...as I am thinking in my head you try having 2 kids, a full time job, a husband and being pregnant in 90 degree weather..You would look tired too. She looks at the info coming from the monitor and shakes her head. She then looks at me, and down to my ankles, and feet. Back up to me. She smiles and looks in the chart. The room is silent, which is odd for her office and I just stare at her facial expressions. Her eyebrows raise up and down, up and down. She looks back at me, back at my file. "So she says, Hannah is out of school for the summer?" "Yes, today was her last day." I reply. "Hmmmm", she replies. "How would you like to be home for the summer? I need you to take it easy", she says. "I would love to be home for the summer, what are you saying?" I'm saying, that I am requesting you on medical leave effective today, and you must promise to take it easy or you will end up on bed rest." I let the info soak in for a minute. This is getting serious..I still have 2 months, that's 8 weeks to go. I have joked I would love to be off for the summer, but never actually thought this early. I nod... I ask for a couple of days to work to tie of lose ends...She says only if I take it easy.
I leave her office in a daze, I'm nervous to be off of work this early and nervous for my baby, but excited to start this new adventure of being a stay at home mom, at least for the summer and a few months after that.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Not the high blood pressure part but the part about being with the girls all summer. BUT you have to rest!! Get some movies and put your feet up! :-) You know you aren't going to want to go back to work after this! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the SAHM part!!!!!! I'm so happy for you, not the blood pressure part, but I know you have wanted to be home with the girls for so long. Just take it easy. Not too much cleaning every day (but I know you still will) and try to get the girls to wait on you when you can. And Chris too, if it's all possible. Relax and rest as much as you can and enjoy being at home, in your AC!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know you had high blood pressure!! Have you been keeping this from me? Well I'm glad the dr. ordered you to take it easy. Now you better be sure to listen. Enjoy your time home with the girls. I know how wonderful that's going to be!!

    ReplyDelete